The actual headstock angle is another thing I've worked on. Being a repair guy, I've noticed that Les Pauls have a tendency to break at the headstock a lot, and I have repaired many in my time. So I didn't want to incorporate that headstock design into the Merlin, although they have similar features. To solve that problem, I've reduced the angle of the headstock to 10 degrees rather than the 14 that you'll find on a Les Paul, but it still achieves a certain amount of break angle over the nut by using Sperzel-style machineheads. Ultimately, it results in about a 12 degree break angle over the nut, achieving the right amount of sustain for what I was after.

They're the main points as far as fundamental construction goes. The shape of the body, where the bridge is actually attached, people have asked me whether that's something to do with tone, but it's mainly due to aesthetics. Perhaps it is getting a certain amount of sustain as well. Possibly, I'm not sure.

12-degree break angle, Sperzel machineheads

Unique body shape